NEW ONLINE APPLICATION AND UPDATED PROCEDURES AS OF July 16, 2015
The procedures and guidelines listed on this page and on the Important Information page must be followed in order to receive funding from the GSTF- carefully review them!
Steps for Requesting GSTF and ITG Funds
GSTF has a new application process which allows students to create an account to be used for all application submissions, follow the status of your application, and complete the post-conference reimbursement form all on one site.
1. Be aware of these deadlines and plan ahead! Funding must be requested prior to your conference attendance- funding will not be provided for conferences you have already attended.
*There is one exception to these deadlines: if students can provide proof that they received acceptance to present their research at a conference after the applicable deadline. Please email this proof to the GSTF. The decision regarding what is considered “acceptable proof” will be determined by the GSTF.
Application Submission Deadlines
THE FIRST DAY YOU WILL ATTEND THE CONFERENCE IS BETWEEN:
YOUR APPLICATION MUST BE SUBMITTED AFTER THE PREVIOUS DEADLINE AND BY:
|August 1 – September 30||July 15|
|October 1 – November 30||September 15|
|December 1 – January 31||November 15|
|February 1 – March 31||January 15|
|April 1 – May 31||March 15|
|June 1 – July 31||May 15|
– If you already have an account, log in and begin with ‘Create a new request’.
– Complete all the information including your anticipated expenses for each of the categories of travel (registration, travel, lodging).
– Once the application request is submitted, an email will be sent to the faculty advisor and department chair (ITG Only) indicated in your student account for approval. It is the student’s responsibility to see that his/her advisor and department chair (ITG applications only) approves or denies your request for funds in a timely manner. If the request hasn’t been approved or denied five business days after the relevant deadline, the application will not be reviewed by the GSTF, and will be denied.
– Applications cannot be modified once approved by your faculty advisor and/or department chair.
– If your application is approved by your faculty advisor and department chair (ITG applications only), notification will be sent to the GSTF for the final stage of review.
– The GSTF will advise you of its funding decision within seven days of the relevant application deadline (listed above). This decision is final, and it will not be changed or reconsidered.
- FACULTY ADVISORS AND DEPARTMENT CHAIRS
The new online application allows you to create an account to view and respond to all applications submitted by your students. When visiting the online application site (gstfapp.gmu.edu) for the first time, enter your GMU ID and password (the same as your email login information) and you will be asked to create an account. You will not need to do this again. You may then review your student’s application, add comments, submit letters of recommendations (ITG applications only) and approve or deny the application.
If Your Funding Request Application is Approved
FIRST (while on travel)…
- Attend the conference and save all original, itemized receipts (receipts that list all purchases made, not just the total amount that’s due). These original receipts must be submitted with your request for reimbursement in order for it to be processed. Please note; food is no longer reimbursed and therefore meal receipts are no longer needed.
SECOND (after traveling)…
- Log in to gstfapp.gmu.edu and click on ‘View existing requests’. Select the pertinent conference application to open it. At the bottom of the application select ‘Request Reimbursement’. This is where you will enter actual travel expenses for each of the appropriate travel categories.
- Once done, click ‘Continue’ and you will be taken to a view of the Reimbursement Request Form. You will want to submit the form online as well as print the form in order to sign it and send it to GSTF along with all supporting receipts.
- The signed reimbursement form and original receipts must be received by GSTF within two weeks of returning from the conference. Your reimbursement will not be processed if it is not received by this time. Please note that reimbursement requests emailed to us will not be accepted.
- Mail the
- 1. paper GSTF Reimbursement Request form,
- 2. original proof of conference registration (even if not asking for reimbursement of registration fee),
- 3. original proof of airfare purchase (if traveling outside of Virginia, Maryland and DC)
- 4. all original, itemized receipts
- TO: GSTF MS 3A2 (if on campus) or 4400 University Drive, MS 3A2, Fairfax, VA 22030 (if off campus)
- If the reimbursement request is approved, the GSTF will forward it to Accounts Payable for processing. You should receive reimbursement within four to five weeks of your request being received by the GSTF. ** Please note that there may be some delays in processing requests during the scheduled holiday breaks**
- If the reimbursement request is not approved, you will receive an email from the GSTF and your application status will be updated online.
This process must be completed carefully and correctly- set aside some time to complete these steps properly the first time. Failure to correctly complete the forms will delay, if not cancel your funding.
If Your Funding Request Application is Denied
- You may not appeal this decision, it is final. However, you are welcome to apply for GSTF funding for your next conference.
- The GSTF will not provide funding for any expenses that you may incur while attending this conference.
- Your George Mason email address will be the primary source of communicating about your funding request and reimbursement.
- Make sure your George Mason email inbox is not full! The GSTF will not resubmit email notifications in the event that your inbox is full.
- If you do not follow these procedures, and adhere to the guidelines on this page and on the Important Information page, you may not receive funding.
- Your Reimbursement Request must be received by the GSTF a maximum of two weeks after you have returned from the conference, otherwise it will not be processed. Complete your GSTF Reimbursement Request Form as soon as possible after you return!
- The GSTF reserves the right to modify its procedures at any time.
- If you need to reach the GSTF, email email@example.com.